In the comments on a recent Disability Insurance Awareness Month post, FoIB Bernie Flatters made a most cromulent point: ' I have looked at disability insurance and it 'feels' very expensive compared to the value. I wish I could get over this. When I think of the benefits of this type of insurance, I think about not being able to work and having to stay home for days, weeks, months while I recuperate .' And indeed, DI poses quite the conundrum: on the one hand, unlike life insurance, there's no guarantee that one will ever actually become disabled. And, as we pointed out the other day, these plans ' are one of the two most complicated insurance products in our portfolio .' So here's how I often help folks get over that hump, and I'll use Monday's example to illustrate: To review, we have a delivery truck driver in good health (other than tobacco use, which impacts her rate substantially). The plan we quoted would provide $3,400 a month (or just...
Comments
Post a Comment